Master Plan Project
The Yukon Wildlife Preserve is currently undertaking a master planning project.
The overall goals of this Master Plan project are to:
- Become a must-visit destination for all Yukon residents and tourists;
- Continue to be a valued member of the local community;
- Increase involvement in science and research;
- Improve and grow the Yukon Wildlife Preserve brand; and
- Be financially sustainable over the long-term and contribute to the local economy.
What’s Important to You?
Your voice is critical to developing a masterplan that will stand the test of time and reflect and support the values of our community.
Please take a moment to take one of our surveys – it should take 10-15 minutes:
A survey for businesses, tour operators and educators is forthcoming!
Stantec has been hired, as part of a larger team, to reach out to key stakeholders. They will be gathering feedback from a range of groups and people and will provide a summary of what we heard. This report will then be used by the team to inform the plan.
Your input is important to us. Here are upcoming opportunities to get involved. They are:
- An informal meet and greet at the Gold Rush Inn on Monday June 3, 2019 from 6 to 8 pm. This will be a chance to see what is happening, meet members of the planning team, ask questions, and provide input.
- Saturday June 8 is Yukoner Day and along with free admission to the Wildlife Preserve, we will have a booth set up from 12 noon until 3pm. You can stop by, get some information and provide input to our team.
- An online survey for public stakeholders that will be available until late June.
- An online survey for business, tour operator and educators, available to late June.
- Or contact us directly at:
867 633 2400 ext 127
Stantec Architecture Ltd.
The Master Plan Project Team consists of:
- YWPOS Board Members
- YWPOS Staff
- PJA Architects and Landscape Architects (Lead Consultant)
- Osomono Ltd.
- Zoo Advisors
- Stantec (Whitehorse)
- Aasman Branding (Whitehorse)
This project is made possible by:
- Yukon’s Community Development Fund
The Yukon Wildlife Preserve undertook a masterplan shortly after the YWP was formed in 2004. The lead author of this original master plan was Peter Karsten (former president of both the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums and Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums, and former director of the Calgary Zoo).
This master plan took the Yukon Wildlife Preserve from a fledgling organization into a community staple. By 2015 much of the plan had been accomplished and it was clear that we needed an updated plan to help guide the Preserve through its next phase of growth.
Become a Sponsor
Our mission is to connect our visitors to the natural world through memorable experiences in large natural landscapes. We care for Yukon’s most vulnerable wildlife and build nature literacy through engaging programs. Join us in building communities that are wild at heart!